Wednesday, November 4, 2015

1/2 Marathon. Check!


I always told people, "I'm not a runner. I'm not built for that." But what was probably more true was that I tried it, wasn't immediately successful, it hurt, I had a hard time breathing, and then decided that "I just wasn't very good at it. Next exercise, please!" :) My sisters-in-law tried to get me to run with them when we were stationed back east and I thought I was going to die after 1 mile (thanks for being patient, Rachel! Lol). It wasn't until Stephen deployed to Kuwait in 2011 and started running races over there that I became inspired and believed that maybe I could give it another try. We bought a jogging stroller, I bundled up my little baby Tierzah, and we put one foot in front of the other. ;) She loved going for runs with me and I loved the endorphin release, fresh air, and something to look forward to during the week. It wasn't long before my sis-in-law, Suzanne, signed me up to run a 10K with her and my bro and sis-in-law, Paul and Cheryl, signed me up to run a 5K. I had never done anything like that before, but I'm sure if it wasn't for everyone encouraging and believing in me...I wouldn't have even tried in the first place. 

In 2012, I was in my last couple weeks of training for a 1/2 marathon, Stephen had been home from the deployment for 3 months...and I found out I was pregnant with Micah. :) I had some scares at the beginning of the pregnancy that made me choose to stop running and switch to less intense exercises. Running went on the back burner for the next 
11 months :) and then I got to pick it back up again. It was 2014, we had been transferred to the west coast, and I was training to knock that 1/2 marathon off my bucket list. In a 6 month period, I got pregnant, had a miscarriage, started training again, got a stress fracture, wore a boot for 8 weeks, and then got pregnant again with baby Beniah! 

One year later :), Stephen (who already knocked a full USMC Marathon off his bucket list) agreed to run a 1/2 marathon with me and help watch the kiddos on the days that I would need to do a longer run. Then my sis-in-law, Suzanne, called us to tell us that she had just signed up for her 1/2 Marathon and we needed to pony-up. ;) Over the past several weeks, we have been able to use the 'Map My Run' app together and give each other virtual high-fives, keep each other accountable, and vulnerable reveal when we were slacking. Lol! Thank you guys for being inspirational, motivating me to not quit, and being healthy competition. ❤️
My shirt says, "Jesus Didn't Tap!" I like to wear this shirt when I'm running or working out because it reminds me to keep my focus on Jesus, the ability that He is giving me to exercise, all that I have to be thankful for because of his sacrifice for me, and it makes me want to push harder when I think of how He never gave up. He's the realest Champion there ever was! I ran my 1/2 Marathon last Friday and couldn't help but think about all the correlations that endurance running has with the Christian Faith. It was not easy to see people relaxing on the beach while I was sweating :), I was in so much pain, 1/2 way through the run I thought, "This is so dumb. Why am I doing this? This was a bad idea! I'm probably going to collapse." Lol! I realized that I wasn't going to make it if I didn't change my perspective and start talking life giving words to myself. So I changed my thoughts to, "You can do this, Girl! Almost done, only 5 more miles! :) Don't quit. This is race day...run like you mean it! Dear Jesus, thank you for the strength and ability to run and breath today...help me not to die!" Haha! I didn't have an amazing finish time. I was just so grateful to actually finish at all! I may have cried on my way home. But I think that's what I need most in my spiritual journey as well 1) Time talking to Jesus throughout the day to rely on Him 2) Encouraging and Life Giving Words from the Bible to renew my perspective 3) Family (earthly and heavenly) who are running the same direction, encouraging/exhorting/and loving me as I hopefully do the same for them!

So, because of Jesus, 1/2 Marathon. Check!! Woo Hoo!! 




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment