Friday, July 8, 2011

Say What?

A few weeks ago, I was reading one of the devotionals from the book, Faith Deployed...Again by Jocelyn Green. Which by the way, if you are a military spouse...I would just stop reading this and go order the book real quick. :) It's definitely a "must have." Anyway, this particular devotional was titled, Soul Talk, and the writer quoted Jennifer Rothschild as she was discussing the things that we may not verbalize but still say to ourselves. To be honest, I had never heard of Jennifer up until that point. Well...a couple hours after reading this devo, I got an email from my friend whose husband met my husband in training at Camp McCrady before heading on their specific IA deployments. It turned out that our husbands discovered that we actually not only live in the same city but that we are in the same neighborhood! How awesome is that? :) This friend was emailing to give me information about a women's summer Bible study that we could attend together. Guess what the study was going to be on?! Yep! Jennifer Rothschild's new book, Me Myself and Lies. I had to laugh because it seemed pretty obvious that God has something to teach me on this topic!

Here's a short clip about the study:



So good! We've completed our 1st week today and I am learning a ton of hard yet wonderful truths. God has been shinning a flashlight into the hidden areas of my heart as Jennifer has us asking ourselves some tough questions. For example, she mentioned that researchers have found that we speak about 150-300 words per min to ourselves! She then asked what we spend most of our time thinking/meditating on? Is it on our Cares? Concerns? Likes? Dislikes? Goals? Plans? Treasures? Scripture? I immediately thought to myself, "I probably spend most of my time being concerned about the well being of my family and friends." Well, that sounds really nice but when I actually began to keep track of my thoughts the next day...I was embarrassed to discover that they were actually mostly focused on myself...not others. Not only that, but they usually were not kind or true words that I was thinking...words like: "I'm fat, I look ugly today, I'm not a good wife or mom, I'm not making a difference with my life, I'm not very interesting, I'm not as intelligent/beautiful/graceful/or amazing as ____. Of course these aren't the only things I thought about all day, but a huge chunk of time was spent thinking about ME and my likes and dislikes. It was clear that I needed a thought closet make over! I have been enjoying discovering what God has to say about all of this and knowing that I don't have to be weighed down in my sometimes overwhelming jumbled thoughts. :) So, I've been trying over the past few days to take captive my thoughts that are false or negative and exchange them for thoughts that are, as Paul says, "...true, noble, right, pure, admirable, excellent and praise worthy..." Phil 4:8

No comments:

Post a Comment