Sunday, October 3, 2010

Deployment Continues...but Count Down Begins!

How does two months past by so quickly?! I guess time always goes by quicker when looking backwards. I've heard it said that the years fly by...it's the days that take forever. Throughout this deployment, I have have come to truly believe that!

I'd like to share what has been keeping me busy and what I have been up to in the form of pictures. Here we gooooo! :)

August

Corl Family Reunion, PA
Stephen's family (mother's side) all gathered together in Pennsylvania this year for a reunion. His grandma and grandpa Corl had 6 children...who made 25 grandchildren...who made 26 great grandchildren! :) A very large, exciting, and Italian family who I am SO happy to be apart of. In this photo are those of us who were able to make it to the reunion representing a small portion of the Griffin Clan.

Trip to San Diego, CA....Mallory and Pete's Wedding
My friend flew me out to California for 10 wonderful days to watch our friends, Mallory and Pete, get married. It was such a beautiful ceremony and she was a gorgeous bride. I've known Mall since we were little girls...we're like sisters...so this was super special to get to see!

The Melting Pot with some amazing girlfriends!
Sara, Amanda, Mallory, Julie J, and I were able to get together while I was visiting San Diego and had a girls night. You can't go wrong with chocolate fondue, right? :) I've known these girls forever so it was neat to reminisce about old times and just be in awe of where we are all at today. I'm so proud of them and the incredibly beautiful women they have become...inside and out!

My Wee Scottish Mum :)
My mom and brother still live in the San Diego area so it was fabulous to spend time with them. They were kind enough to give in to me wanting to get authentic Mexican food and Rubios Fish Tacos almost daily while I was there! I am telling you...there is no other place that can do "Mexican" like southern California. If you get a chance to visit SD, ask where the nearest Taco Shop is and get some rolled tacos or a Carne Asada burrito immediately. It's that important and it will change your life. :)
September
Nags Head, NC
Some of my in-laws were heading down to Nags Head for Labor Day weekend so I joined them. This was just a day after Hurricane Earl passed through the east coast. The weather was perfect for the beach and the waves were huge! I ate lunch at the pier, spent time with the family, sat on the beach, and then headed home that evening.

Labor Day
A couple days after I went Nags Head, my in laws stopped by my house to visit on their way back home. Here's a picture of some of them enjoying the cooler weather on our deck. It was so nice to have company when usually it's just me and Mac Mac here. :)


Grandma Corl's Poker Night, DE
My mom-in-law, Linda, invited me to come up to Delaware with her, my sis-in-law, Cheryl, and two nieces. In this picture is Stephen's Uncle Rick, Aunt Lisa, Grandma Corl, Mom-Linda, and Aunt Norma. It's been so nice getting to know all of them better since we've lived on the east coast! This was also a special night as we celebrated Linda and Rick's birthdays.


Scrapbooking for Soldiers, MD
After our time @ Grandma Corl's, we drove down to Southern Maryland to attend a Scraping for Soldiers event. This was my first experience in the land of croppers and it turned out to be a fun day. :) The proceeds went to putting care packages together for soldiers and buying phone cards for them. As you can see, I worked on my wedding album...it's only been 3 1/2 years since I've been married. lol To my credit, I did make a digital wedding book...but this gives me the opportunity to use some creative juices. It was nice to have my sis-in-law, Deborah and mom-in-law there for me to ask them questions...such as, "How do I use this tape?" :)


Chaplain Spouse Dessert, VA
Here's a picture of 1/2 of the spouses that were able to make it out for our Tidewater Chaplain Spouse Event. This was my 2nd time getting to attend one of these get togethers and I had a great time. It's so nice to be able to meet other spouses and to hear their stories of where God has brought them. I enjoy the encouragement and humor that everyone brings to the table about the crazy adventures they've each been on in the military.


Griffin Ladies Retreat and Cirque du Sole, DC
Linda (mom-in-law) planned a retreat for her girls to stay at Wyndham's National Harbor resort in DC. She prepared studies for us to go through together on Drawing Near to God, Our Priorities, Our Perception, and tools to create a Personal Development Plan. I really enjoyed sharing this experience and being able to hear what God is doing in each of their lives. They are all incredible friends and sisters that I've been blessed to gain through my hubby, Stephen. Oh yes, we did also get to go to Cirque's show, Ovo. I've been able to see two other Cirque shows and this one definitely competes for 1st place!
Me
I'm 23 weeks prego in this pic and enjoying my 2nd trimester! My sweet hubby comes home in 6 weeks and I am thrilled to death. I can't believe we've made it this far and the light is finally coming through at the end of the tunnel. YAY! :) I'm officially able to say, "See you next month!" ::Sigh:: It's a challenge to remain focused and still take it one day at a time. I never knew that I could grow so much closer and even more intimate with Stephen while we've been thousands of miles apart for the past several months. God has truly done something special in our relationship in spite of the distance between us. I'm SO grateful for this as separation can be incredibly hard and strenuous on marriages. Don't get me wrong, we have had very tough, discouraging, and lonely times too...but it seemed like God came through and met us right where we were at to provide comfort, peace, and encouragement. He's given us grace exactly when we needed it! I have so much more to share but I think I'll save it for another time. :)
































I wanted to share in the form of pictures what I've been up to and what has been keeping me busy over the past several weeks. Here we go! :)












No comments:

Post a Comment