Wednesday, July 28, 2010

News From A Far Country...

I have come to cherish every email I get from my hubby while he's away. I read and re-read each line sometimes to make sure I didn't leave anything out. :) I can imagine his tone of voice and I usually have the cheesiest grin on my face the entire time. I'm very thankful for email and the fact that most of the time it is working well. I haven't heard his voice in several weeks and I feel like a giddy school girl looking forward to our next skype or phone call!

As we come up on the 1/2 way mark of this deployment, I can look back and see the challenges and rewards we've both experienced. I see how God as given me comfort and peace during my loneliest and darkest moments. It's been humbling at times having to ASK FOR HELP :) while Stephen has been away. I had to call my landlord a couple months ago to have him walk me through the steps over the phone of fixing some outlets in my house. Thankfully, he was very patient and I felt very accomplished after fixing the problem! Being the knight-ess in shining armor as been new for me as well! Last week, in the middle of the night (of course!) I heard one of our alarms going off. I never heard this one in particular before so I figured someone was either trying to break in the house or there was a fire. The funny thing is that I was SO tired that I was more annoyed than scared that someone "just had to break in when I was exhausted and really not feeling up to it!" ;) Anyway, I began to search the house wearing my very intimidating pink pj's, armed with a shot gun, and a sleepy puppy in tow. After an hour of looking for where the noise was coming from, I finally figured out that it was the smoke detector running low on batteries! :) Those are just a couple of my funnier home-front stories.

God has also sent strangers into my life to become dear friends and has fulfilled in my life Luke 18:29-30, "Yes, said Jesus, and you wont regret it. No one who has sacrificed home, spouse, brothers and sisters, parents, children-whatever-will lose out. It will all come back multiplied many times over in your lifetime. And then the bonus of eternal life!" The Message I'm so grateful for such a gracious God! I totally do not deserve His constant protection, provision, love, discipline, mercy, and grace. I can't imagine going through this journey without Him.

For any other military spouses going through a deployment, a fellow Chaplain's wife introduced www.excellentorpraiseworthy.com to me and it is a wonderful devotional site for couples separated through deployment. My husband and I have done several together and it's a great way to stay connected.

In the month of July, I got to visit my sisters and brothers-in-law in Richmond, VA for a weekend. I spent a week with my sisters in North Carolina and had a great visit catching up with them. And just this past week, my friends from California flew out to visit for a week. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with them and already miss having a full house! :) Needless to say, I've been staying busy. I'm looking forward to the next 3 months with all the challenges and blessings it will bring!

1 comment: