Sunday, April 18, 2010

Settling In...


We finally got our HouseHold Goods! It took a while because for some reason the Personal Property Office was unable to locate our containers. :) It gave us a good scare and added to the exciting adventure of PCSing. After 7 months of not seeing any of our stuff, we completely forgot about the things we were unpacking. I think Stephen and I both love condensing so we were pretty excited about taking a car load of stuff that we know we will not use here down to our local thrift store. We've been working at getting things in order for the past 4 days now and it's coming together! It's starting to feel more and more like "home". :) I'll post pictures of the rooms once we get finished. I'm so thankful for what God has blessed us with here!
The pictures I've posted with this blog are from our time here so far. Above is a picture that we took while visiting family in Duck, NC near Nags Head. We had a great time soaking in the salty beach air and eating some AMAZING fish tacos while out at dinner with the fam. Seriously, those were the best fish tacos I've had on this side of America. I would drive an 1 hour and 20 mins to get those again! :)



Easter! This was the first Resurrection Day Celebration that Stephen and I have been able to spend with his side of the family. We congregated at Stephen's sisters house in Maryland and had a great time just being near family. All of our family members are always on my heart and in my prayers. I'm learning that God just might love them more than I do. ;-)


Kayaking! The beige house on the left at the end is ours. This is the view as we were kayaking down the river back home. Stephen and I both really enjoy kayaking (even though he does most of the work) :) so this is something we are taking advantage of while the weather is still nice. From what I hear, it's about to get nice and humid/hot with lots of mosquitoes around here. Yikes. Well, that will just give me more stories to tell I'm sure. Ha! Stay tuned.



Again, us kayaking around the neighborhood.



Stephen and I were getting some of our utilities turned on and we might of been stealing a quick kiss when this WWII veteran came wheeling up behind us. He jokingly barked some orders for us "secure the happiness". :) Stephen tried to tell him that his rebellious wife just couldn't keep her hands off of him and it was all her fault. ;) Anyway, we stopped to talk with the veteran and thank him for his service to our country. He then went on to tell us a story about a sailor he knew who kissed his wife in public and was then put in jail for the night! I couldn't believe that. Times have definitely changed! I thought this would be a neat picture so I snapped it with my phone camera. I'm grateful for generations of service members sacrificing for my freedom and this country.
Ok, so I saved the "best" for last. Stephen had only been checked in here at the Norfolk Naval base for 1 week when he was able to meet with his boss about what his new duties would be. To make a long story short, Stephen will be leaving in about 5 weeks to serve as the Chaplain for the USS Elrod for their 6 month deployment. Yep, I said it, the "D" word. It's an exciting opportunity for Stephen to do what we came here to do. How do I feel? Excited. Scared. Concerned. Hopeful. I know that absolutely NOTHING is brought our way that has not first been given approval of by God. I've been doing a personal study about the attributes of God over the past couple months and I'm seeing firsthand how God has been preparing my heart and mind for this news. He's SO loving and merciful! Thanks God. I'm sure there are some really tough and challenging moments ahead. I can't even imagine 1/2 a year without Stephen, my best buddy! But like I heard in church today, there is no one who can be our "everything", cure our loneliness, give us lasting happiness and joy...no one but Jesus Christ!
With all that said, please keep us in your prayers! Mostly importantly, pray for the sailors aboard the USS Elrod and their spouses and families back home. This is my prayer for tonight:

"Eternal Father, strong to save, Whose arm hath bound the restless wave, Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep, Its own appointed limits keep;Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee, For those in peril on the sea! O Christ! Whose voice the waters heard And hushed their raging at Thy word, Who walked'st on the foaming deep, And calm amidst its rage didst sleep;Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee, For those in peril on the sea! Most Holy Spirit! Who didst brood Upon the chaos dark and rude, And bid its angry tumult cease, And give, for wild confusion, peace;Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee, For those in peril on the sea! O Trinity of love and power! Our brethren shield in danger's hour; From rock and tempest, fire and foe, Protect them wheresoe'er they go;Thus evermore shall rise to Thee Glad hymns of praise from land and sea."



No comments:

Post a Comment