Wednesday, February 17, 2010

January 2010

In my blog post from December 30th, I mentioned that Stephen was accepted into the Navy to become a Chaplain. He flew to San Diego, CA to swear in and get commissioned. We LOVE Mexican food and it was Stephen's goal to get a real Burrito from Los Panchos when he landed. Well, the commissioning officer decided to perform the ceremony right there in the parking lot of the restaurant! This picture always makes me laugh...only my husband would do this. I love him! Anyway, he started Officer Development School in Rhode Island two days later and was there for 5 weeks. It was the longest that he and I had ever been apart in our three years of marriage. I guess at times I didn't feel up to blogging and other times I actually stayed pretty busy. I learned so much during our month apart and know God used it for good! I cried a lot more than I expected to and just missed my best friend immensely. I knew (and know) in my heart that this is exactly where we were supposed to be and tried to focus on the greater mission before us. My sister-in-law gave me a book called, Faith Deployed, for military wives. I incorporated that devotional into my quite time everyday and was SO encouraged by the stories and lessons that these seasoned military wives had to share. It seemed like every page was just for me! I clung to the verses and watched how God was able to work on some hidden areas of my heart. I am learning more and more about how vital prayer is, and how much I need God's hand in every area of my life and throughout every moment my day.
Here's Stephen being commissioned :)

My friends from San Diego, Dale and Kim, were visiting family in VA so we were able to meet up with each other in the middle. It was so refreshing to spend time with them for a few hours and catch up!

Also in January, I got to have my pal, Amanda, come out and visit me! It was a treat to be able to spend ten days with her and tour the DC area. On our first venture out into the city, we were in a car accident where the driver of the other car decided that she wanted to be in our lane too. :) God definitely protected us and no one was hurt. It was my first car accident experience and of course it had to happen when Stephen was several states away. Amanda and I were able to laugh about it after the shock and still managed to have a good time!

Us in the Mall in front of the Capitol on our way to see museums


We got to visit good ole Abe Lincoln! The history around DC is just fascinating to me.

I didn't want to post oodles and oodles of the pictures we took but I thought this one was special. There was an elderly man standing next to us visiting names of possibly the men that he knew. As I took a picture of the wall, I got his reflection in it too! It makes my eyes well up thinking about all these men and women that gave their lives for our country and the friends and family members that grieve their loss. "Honor Those Who Served"
After Amanda went back home, I spent 5 days babysitting my nieces and nephew in Richmond VA with my sister-in-law. Then I focused on getting ready to see Stephen!!



No comments:

Post a Comment